Thursday, December 04, 2003


GOP balks at freezing tax cut
The state GOP's governing committee passed a resolution opposing any pause in the rate cut on Nov. 22. On Tuesday, GOP Chairwoman Betsy DeVos sent a memo to Republican lawmakers telling them "we need to stand firm to keep the income tax rollback in place."

Democrats charge that DeVos' outspoken opposition to tampering with the tax cut is intimidating to GOP lawmakers worried about future political career options.

"She apparently carries the big stick in the party," said Sen. Robert Emerson of Flint, the Democratic leader in the Senate.

I've got a big stick I'd like to give to Betsy, problem is I'm not sure how I'd "hand" it to her. I'm thinking about sending her a check for 83 cents every week if she promises to keep her big, greedy yap shut.